18 June 2008

en la calle

Maybe one of my favorite things about Latin America is the way buildings are painted. On my street, there are red houses with turquoise doors, blue houses with yellow doors, and pink houses with green doors. I hesitate to simplify or wax poetic, but I do think it reflects something inherently joyful about the culture. When you think about cultures that employ stark minimalistic and neutral architectural and aesthetic schemas, do you think of them as joyful?
This church is fascinating. Its roots are in Cortesian Mexico, but somewhere along the way, someone decided to give the facade a rosy facelift.
These street musicians were only teenagers and were completely adorable in their little uniforms.
These breakdancers were more than happy to pose for pictures. They were dancing in el centro, the town gathering space, but I found it especially interesting that they were breakdancing right in front of a grandiose and towering government building. What better place for street dancing?

12 comments:

la femme said...

heaven.

About Me said...

I have more on my other blog you might like, A.

xo

Anonymous said...

mmm juxtaposition of old and new. i love these!

pretty said...

I want to come!

btw I've tagged you (seven songs for spring) but I see you're away so ignore if you want :)

Draumur said...

wow!!!i am trying to smell your pictures.. what was the fragrance of the air?

Unknown said...

great pics - really capturing the essence of the city.

About Me said...

Draumur - hmm, I wish it was some exotic scent, but it's probably exhaust in the air - maybe mixed with the more pleasant scent of street taco vendors!

Kay - thank you!

..... said...

yeah it's always very colorfulll !! a real pleasure for the eyes !

Guilherme Montana said...

From what I saw in this post of yours, you'll love Brasil. Recife, my hometown, above all.
Cheers!

About Me said...

Guilherme - Brazil is on my list of places to visit. I love Brazilian street art and dancing.

Botica Pop said...

oh! i liked so much this pics. i live in mexico city and i can say you've just touched the escence of méxico.

About Me said...

Botica Pop - me gusta Mexico mucho, y cada dia, yo leo sobre el pais (en las noticias or en la literatura).

DF es increible en particular - el arte es maravilloso!

Gracias por leyendo mi blog!