14 February 2008

Thought of the Day

Iconic fashion photographer David Bailey (who has worked with Penelope Tree, Jean Shrimpton, Jane Birkin, Mick Jagger, The Beatles, Catherine Deneuve and Marianne Faithfull, to name a few) was asked by Guardian Unlimited what he thought of the UK's new curriculum which introduces children to five hours of culture per week (art, music, etc.).

Bailey answered:
I learned nothing at school. I didn't really go until I was eight, and I left on my 16th birthday. The only person I liked was an art teacher - a woman, of course - and she told me you couldn't put a line around things. I was amazed because that was all Walt Disney ever did. My real education came from reading and going to Hollywood movies with my mum - it was cheaper than putting another shilling in the meter.

They never told me Van Gogh cut off his ear because he couldn't get it up; they never told me Caravaggio was the character he was. If they had, it might have been different - it was all too academic. I didn't discover Picasso till I was 17. I didn't know art galleries existed. But I don't like the idea of compulsory culture.


See some of his best work here.

No comments: