05 September 2006

No Need To Stirrup The Pants

I've been hearing little tidbits about stirrup pants being 'back'. Last week I heard the Go Fug Yourself girls mention stirrups (albeit unfavorably) on NPR.

Let me make myself clear on the stirrup issue: I do not deny that Julia Stegner looks amazing in stirrups. I do, however, insist that every non-supermodel looks not-amazing in stirrups.

To be honest, I've just about had it with leggings altogether. It took a lot of convincing for me to give leggings and inch, and yes, I did give leggings an inch. Mea culpa. But now they've gone and taken a mile, and to add insult to injury, they've stirruped themselves.

All I ask is that if you happen to pass stirrups in a retail environment, you quickly avert your attention elsewhere, post-haste. If you give stirrups an inch, they'll take a mile, and if you lived in the 1980s, you know what I mean. No need to stir up the shameful past.

Stirrups fooled us once, and as George W. Bush says, "Fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

1 comment:

la femme said...

Haha, agreed. I was just thinking about this garment after seeing Valentine Fillol Cordier wearing brown stirrup stockings on cobrasnake...