01 June 2008

Wedding Season

I went to two weddings yesterday. In general, I try to avoid weddings because I find them exhausting, gaudy displays of vanity that are the first expensive step towards divorce. Yes, I know I'm cynical. But also, I find that weddings very rarely diverge from puffy, chichi and formulaic.

Wedding #2 yesterday was held on a beautiful piece of property in Olympia. It was outdoors, and all the blossoms were out (so were the goats, chickens and kittens). The bride, my friend C., found her lovely ivory lace gown at a boutique in Seattle. It was refreshing to see something other than a starchy white, bedazzled-cupcake gown.

I was grateful she avoided the poodle prom updo and went for a soft classic updo, with a little feather hairpiece. Her sash and shawl contrasted splendidly with her vibrant hair.

4 comments:

la femme said...

Your friend looks beyond beautiful.

I'm secretly jealous of your wedding schedule! I've only been to one, and it was a lot of fun.

Mary-Laure said...

She's gorgeous!

I dislike weddings, like you. That manufactured romanticism, all the crazy fuss, the mandatory joy, argh... hardly leaves any space for genuine emotion...

pretty said...

She looks so stunning!!!

About Me said...

A: You're welcome to attend weddings with me! I'd enjoy the company...

Mary-Laure: I agree! Manufactured romanticism is a good way to describe it.

Pretty Face: I know! I couldn't stop taking pictures of her.