22 March 2007

Power and Poise

Yesterday I was wearing my WWII-vintage sailor pants. They lace up the back (and I do mean up the back... half way up my back) and have a sixteen-button barn door on the front. They couldn't be more high-waisted without being a jumpsuit. They are dark navy blue wool and in nearly perfect condition, considering they used to sail the high seas some sixty-odd years ago. I wore them with a plain black top. Lately I really like being covered from head to toe; partly because it's 40 degrees outside and partly because I don't want leathery skin. But also, lately I've realized that covering your body forces people to see something else about you.

I really love women who can wear atypical and modest clothing, simple makeup, simple hair, and who all the while ooze intelligence and confidence.

I get tired of hearing women equate their power with their sexuality, as if it is only in their sexuality that they have power. These are the women who exploit themselves and their sexuality to feel some sense of power. (Think Madonna.) How much more interesting is it to be in the presence of a woman who commands respect and speaks knowledgeably, and who doesn't have to vamp herself to be heard. (Think Katharine Hepburn.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lover her! Such a strong woman!

La Principessa said...

Beautiful. Beautiful picture, beautiful person. I've wanted a gorgeous pair of high-waisted, wide-leg trousers for a while, too. . .

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your thoughts on "empowerment". I am so tired of women being defined by their sexuality. The fault lies with both men and women. If women would realize the harm it is doing to society's perception of women and morality and stop the trend, men would also have to stop exploiting women's sexuality. I am so tired of hearing how "stong" and "empowered" actresses are for doing nude sex scenes and the like. It is "strong" to volunteer your time or to run for office or to raise kids, not to strip. You are right on with your post!

Anonymous said...

I am going to add you to my links !

The Spicers said...

I LOVE sailor pants!
Sounds like a great look, and I couldn't agree more about the allure of a woman who projects confidence and sensuality while remaining covered.

Anonymous said...

WWII vintage? That's incredible. I love proper vintage that sort of represents the decade that they came from. Modesty is certainly one of the best characteristics of a modern woman. Everyone is too quick to get their goodies out these days. It's depressing.

Bluegurl said...

Love those pants!!