11 August 2006

Tess McGill Flashbacks

I used to laugh at the idea of sweater dresses because they seemed so dated, and not in a good way. When I hear "sweater dress" I conjure up this image of Melanie Griffith as Tess McGill wearing heavily contoured maroon blush and NFL-worthy shoulder pads. I don't even remember if she wore sweater dresses in Working Girl, maybe it was just awful NFL-padded beige powersuits, but that's what my mind automatically jumps to.

However, I've been forced to reconsider the idea of a dress made of sweater as I've taken a look at the following:

Stella McCartney
Karoo

These dresses are anything but dated because instead of being worn with a cemented-with-Aqua-Net coif and maroon contouring, they're paired with loose waves and fresh faces. Also, black and charcoal are much better than beige and sand when it comes to sweater dresses.

No comments: