15 August 2006

Slav for Slavs


One of the (four) books that I am currently reading is The End of the Russian Empire. It's very fascinating... well, I find all non-U.S. 20th Century history fascinating. But also, I love Russia's rich history and culture. It's a little sad to think about it now, considering what Russia has gone through. Without Russia, we'd never have had Natalia Nikolaevna Zakharenko (aka Natalie Wood). Alright, I suppose she's just a minor part of 20th Century Russian history, but I love her nonetheless. And so is another fabulous Natalia: Natalia Vodianova.

But, this is a fashion blog, and I would be remiss if I didn't post on fashion in Russia. Do you remember the old Patrick Demarchelier Vanity Fair layout, Slavs of Fashion, featuring only Eastern European and Russian supermodels (Carmen, Eugenia, Natalia, Karolina, Marija, Natasha...)? Well, it is my all-time favorite VF, and I still have it kicking around here somewhere. I am Slavic (Czechoslovac... my grandfather was Stanislav Zubalik), and for some reason that makes me think that I have something in common with these girls. Anyhow... "style is a universal language"... so dig into Russia:

Russian Fashion Week
Moscow Street Fashion

No comments: